Sunday, September 23, 2012

decorating the dorm door!

I've been at UT for about a month now, and it still really doesn't feel like home. It feels reminicent of summer camp, and my body thinks it's time to pack up and go back home to mommy and daddy - even though I've got a wayyys to go. SO, in an effort to make myself feel more at home, I have begun re-decorating my already pretty cute dorm piece by piece. 



TODAY IT WAS THE DOOR. I'll just tell you - it was ugly before. There was a nasty bulluten board cemented to the door that couldn't go, so I just covered it up. It just looked so bare. After all - this is my home! My mommy puts a wreath on our front door in Plano, and since this is my front door, it got a wreath :)

STEP ONE | the wreath 

Ingredients: 
  • 14"-16"ish foam wreath from Hobby Lobby ($4.99 - 40% coupon = $2.99)
  • Yarn from Hobby Lobby (on sale for $2.66)
  • Little triangle pennets that I printed with some cardstock I had
  • Little scraps/strips of fabric to make the fabric flowers/rosettes that I had
  • 1/4" satin ribbon that I had
  • Hot glue and a glue gun that I had
    • TOTAL COST: $5.65!
Steps:
  1. Wrap your yarn around your wreath. It's really quite self explanitory, I tied the yarn in a tight knot around the wreath to get me started, then I just wrapped and wrapped and wrapped and wrapped and wrapped till 45 minutes later I was done. You need to overlap a little bit, just so that no part of the white foam is showing.
  2. Make your flowers. I made them from two tutorials.
    1. Rosettes   
    2. Flowers (this is really a headband tutorial but I just followed the flower part)
  3.   Hot glue the flowers onto the wreath
  4. Make your little triangles with letters on the computer. Print out on cardstock and cut them out
  5. Hot glue them to the ribbon
  6. Hot glue the ribbon (with triangles added on at this point) to the back of the wreath
  7. Thread the ribbon through a piece of yarn on the back of the wreath and tie a knot. Then I just swung the ribbon over the door and thumbtacked it on the inside of the door
STEP TWO | message board

I just took a piece of fabric that I had (24" x 18" and stapled it to that ugly bulliten board. Then, I used command strips to attach the board to the fabric. Then, I repeated steps 4 & 5 of the wreath tutorial to make the 'leave a message' banner. I thumbtacked it to the board.

and.....DONE!

Beginning to feel more at home? possibly :)

No comments:

Post a Comment